Kadota fig not responding to any type of fertilizer

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
A Kadota fig in the chicken yard is not responding to any type of fertilizer. Around February 2020 I drove two fertilizer spikes into the ground around 30 inches from the tree. Starting in March the Kadota fig tree has been sprayed almost weekly with an organic liquid fertilizer mix.

When the bottle of liquid fertilizer ran out I switched to a different type. I estimate each bottle lasted around a month, maybe 6 weeks. Between March 2020 and June 2020 I have used the following liquid organic fertilizers on my Kadota fig tree:
  • Raw Organic Humic Fulvic Acid- Liquid Carbon - Root Hume- Simple Grow Solutions- Natural Lawn & Garden Treatment- Nutrient Plant Food Enhancer
  • Liquid Kelp Extract Seaweed 32 Ounce Fertilizer Concentrate
  • Neptune's Harvest Organic Hydrolized Fish & Seaweed Fertilizer
When the fig trees were first sprouting in the spring, water soluble miracle grow plant fertilizer was added to the mix and sprayed directly onto the leaves. The trees were sprayed between every week and every other week. Miracle grow was used only for around a month. When the box ran out I did not buy any more.

Besides spraying the leaves, 6 inch long water spikes were fitted to one liter bottles and placed at the bottom of the tree around 18 - 24 inches from the base. This was a water / liquid fertilizer mix.

The Kadota fig tree has barely put on any growth, while the three Brown Turkey Big trees have put on around 18 inches of growth. One of the Brown Turkey Fig trees died back last winter, but sprouted from the base in the spring. This Brown Turkey Fig tree has around 18 inches of growth. A freshly planted Brown Turkey Fig tree has put on around 18 inches of growth this spring.

The Kadota fig tree is around 3 years old. During this time it has not responded to any type of fertilizer. Every year it sprouts new leaves, may grow a couple of figs, then does nothing the rest of the year.

Around once a month or so, after all the trees have been sprayed down, the remaining solution is pouring around the base of the tree.

Between the fertilizer spikes, Miracle-Gro Fruit & Citrus Fertilizer Spikes. the organic fertilizer, and the miracle grow, surely something should have worked by now.