Gear for a Camping / Hunting Trip

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Gear for a hunting / camping trip. Planning a multi-day camping trip to public hunting lands, or maybe to the deer camp that does not have modern facilities such as running water and electricity? Let's put together a gear list that will be both functional and provide comfort for the hunter.

Shelter:
ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person Tent
6x8 foot tarp for a ground cloth, or a 6 x 8 foot ground cloth
Intex Prestige Downy twin size airbed - this will take up most of the tent space but will provide a comfortable nights sleep.
Down sleeping bag - if you want absolute comfort, hardly anything beats a down sleeping bag. I use a military surplus extreme cold weather down bag.

Food:
Three Mountain House freeze dried pouches per day - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Add a few snacks such as jerky, protein or breakfast bars and maybe some noodles.
Single burner propane stove. Blended fuel stoves have issues in cold weather, so bring propane.
Toaks 650 or Toaks 750 ml - Inside my Toaks pot is a small rag, and wrapped inside the rag is a bottle of homemade waterproof matches, and a small bic lighter.

Video about homemade waterproof matches, wax vs fingernail polish:

Clothing:
Clothing appropriate for the climate and location. That may be a vague statement, but someone in Florida will need much different clothing than someone in Colorado, or Montana. If hunting on on public hunting lands be sure to follow and regulations and laws. Some areas allow orange camo, while others require solid orange.

Good footwear, change of socks and underwear, good gloves and a hat.

Personal Hygiene, Health, Medicines:
Why bother with personal hygiene, we are only going to be gone for a couple of days? I bring a personal hygiene kit with a tooth brush, medicine... etc. I also like to bring a small container of baby wipes - to wipe down my private regions. Baby wipes are not as good as a warm shower, but they do the job in a pinch.

Firearm and Knife:
For my upcoming trip my rifle of choice is the Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30 Winchester and loaded with 150 Remington Core-Lokt. Pocket knife is a Case Trapper, and camp knife is a Morakniv Companion. Multitool is a Leaherman Wingman. Hardcase for my rifle is a Flambeau two gun gun case. I usually only carry one firearm, but the extra room on the two gun case gives me some extra room. for other odds and ends.

Others Odds and Ends:
MSR Miniworks water filter
First Aid Kit
Tick removal tool
Mosquito repellent
USB battery pack with USB cables
Flashlight and headlamp - I am going with a USB rechargeable Thrunite Neutron 2C.

Review of the Thrunite Neutron 2C

Overplanning / Overpacking:
One of the things I have been guilty of over the years is overpacking / overplanning a hunting and camping trip. I start out with something like a large ALICE pack and by the time I finish packing I have upgraded to the larger MOLLE pack. When planning for a hunting / camping trip it is easy to over plan, and over pack. Sit down, make a basic gear list, try to tick to that list, but try not to overlook essentials.

Communicate Your Plans to Others:
With modern technology there is no reason not to let friends and family know where you are going, especially if you will be alone, or way off the beaten path. I mark where I will be camping and hunting on Google Earth, take a screenshot of my plans, then send the screenshot to several family members. Some of the places I go are only accessible by boat. By the time someone realizes I am missing it could take them several hours to get a boat, drive to the boat launch, the boat ride to where I will be, then the time looking for my camping and hunting site that they have never been to.

Last edited:

lilcountryjim

I'd choose a location that I can drive to,if I can.on account I have a trick knee that gives me problems every once in a while.and a issue with my right heel.and if there's any hiking to be done to get to the camp site.it can't be to far in somewhat rough turraine.i have 2 tents.a 5 person done tent and a 10 person cabin tent. Colapseable cot with air mattress.2 sleeping bags.one for summer,and one for mild cold nights.2 emergency sleeping bags 0 temp weather. Rechargable flashlight, headlamps and lanterns.a solor power bank to keep them charged.pluss much more.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
I'd choose a location that I can drive to,if I can.on account I have a trick knee that gives me problems every once in a while.and a issue with my right heel.and if there's any hiking to be done to get to the camp site.it can't be to far in somewhat rough turraine.i have 2 tents.a 5 person done tent and a 10 person cabin tent. Colapseable cot with air mattress.2 sleeping bags.one for summer,and one for mild cold nights.2 emergency sleeping bags 0 temp weather. Rechargable flashlight, headlamps and lanterns.a solor power bank to keep them charged.pluss much more.

Thanks Jim. These spots are rather remote for the area so they get hunted less than other spots. There are areas that are much more remote, but the boat drive for these are not that bad. The nice thing, there are no roads nearby so you do not hear road traffic, no ATVs, nothing like that.

Several years ago a buddy of mine spent three days on this same river, and we saw one boat during those three days.

For the upcoming trip I decided to attach a patrol pack to the large MOLLE. Camp gear in the MOLLE, and other stuff in the patrol pack. Over the past few years the patrol pack has turned into my favorite day pack; it should be well suited for sitting in a climbing stand all day.

I was going to have stuff like topo maps, gps, toilet paper, snacks, rain poncho, matches, water filter... others odds and ends in the patrol pack.

Then have tent, air mattress, tarp, mountain house freeze dried meals, stove, stove fuel, and change of clothes in the large molle.

Last edited:

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Left the house around 10:30 or so Thursday which was a little later than I wanted. Fueled the boat and truck up, picked up some snacks, then headed to Martin Dies State Park to launch the boat. What was normally around a 25 minute boat ride took almost 40 minutes. this was due to the boat being loaded with gear and another person (my son) being in the boat.

We set camp up, then set the stands up. I used a climbing stand while my son used a popup blind. I thought both spots were good as they overlooked heavily used wildlife trails. There are whitetail deer and pigs all through the area so I was hoping to see something tomorrow.

For dinner I had Mountain House freeze dried chicken and rice, which should have been named rive and chicken because there was much more rive than chicken. This was a single serving Mountain House meal of chicken and rice, and I would buy it again. I felt the portion size was perfect, and it had plenty of flavor.

Woke up at 5:30 to get dressed and to head to the stand. My son told me a pig came near the camp site, but I did not hear it as I was asleep. Made it to the stand around 6 am, climbed around 20 feet up, and got to watch the sunrise with a beautiful view.

This is what the area looked like before hunting season.

Saw plenty of squirrels, and a few ducks, and a heard a few crows. Heard a deer snorting at me maybe around 7 am or so. Sadly, I did not see any pigs or deer. A short distance from the climbing stand was a creek. Several times I heard something jump in the creek and swim across, but the sound came from a dense thicket that I could not see through.

My son had the same amount of luck, he heard a deer snorting but did not see anything.

Hopefully I can go back next week and hunt a different tree that is a couple of hundred feet from the place I hunted this weekend.

Attachments

• Alps-two-person-tent.jpg
    Alps-two-person-tent.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 1
  • campfire-hunting-trip.jpg
    campfire-hunting-trip.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 1
  • climbing-stand-view.jpg
    climbing-stand-view.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 0
  • large-molle-sustainment-pouches.jpg
    large-molle-sustainment-pouches.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 0
  • sitting-climbing-stand.jpg
    sitting-climbing-stand.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 1

lilcountryjim

Better luck next time.
I've camped at Martin Dies Jr. State Park twice.great camp ground.and the deer I've seen there are smaller than the white tail I'm use to seeing over at rat cliff lake area.on over to mission tejas camp ground.and on in towards alto.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Better luck next time.
I've camped at Martin Dies Jr. State Park twice.great camp ground.and the deer I've seen there are smaller than the white tail I'm use to seeing over at rat cliff lake area.on over to mission tejas camp ground.and on in towards alto.

Thank you.

I am hoping to make it back out there between Christmas and New Years. This year I waiting until December to hunt the areas, so next year I may head out there in November. But this year has been warmer than other years, so the biting bugs have been worse than normal.

lilcountryjim

Yeah.the bugs is a problem. Especially when you don't have the needed protection from them.i got to thinking after my last post.the deer at the campground are probably smaller than the white tail that's out and away from there.