Tips for Growing Tabasco Peppers

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Tabasco peppers are growing like crazy. One tabasco pepper plant looks like it has 100 peppers on it.

Tips for Growing Tabasco Peppers

• Work the soil and remove rocks, roots and break up clumps of soil
  • Plant tabasco peppers in well drained soil. The plants seem to do well in sandy soil
  • Space plants 3 - 4 feet apart. One of my plants is close to 30 inches across and it is still growing.
  • Use a well balanced fertilizer, such as 13-13-13, and mix in some manure. The manure will supply the plant with a slow release organic fertilizer.
  • Keep the plants supplied with plenty of water.
  • Allow for plenty of sunlight.
  • Keep weeds pulled away from the tabasco pepper plant.
The tabasco pepper plant should take less than 60 days to start production. If I had to guess, I think my tabasco peppers were producing before the jalapeno peppers.

When making hot sauce, just a couple of peppers goes a long way.

Overall, I found growing tabasco peppers very much like growing jalapeno or any other pepper plant. Hopefully the plants will produce until the first frost.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Updates? How did the plant do?
I felt the plants did wonderful. Some of the tabasco plants were almost 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide. One plant easily produced more peppers than I could use.

For the spring of 2019 I am probably going to plant 4 tabasco pepper plants. This year will be a little different as I want to build mounds with soil and chicken manure a month before planting