Tilling Manure Into The Garden

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Tilling manure into the garden is a labor of love. It would be easier to pick up a bag of 13-13-13 fertilizer and spread it into the garden, than it is to shovel, spread, and then till.

In a way, tilling manure into a garden makes a full circle. The feed the animals ate came from the ground, so why not return it to the ground.

April 12, 2018 I tilled three wheelbarrow loads of chicken manure into the spring garden. Some of the seeds I put down in March did not take, so I redid the rows with manure, and planted fresh seed.

I also tilled chicken manure into the garden along the peppers and tomatoes, then raked the soil up around the plants. We are expecting terrible storms in the next 48 hours. So I worked the soil up around the plants to protect them from being damaged byt the wind and rain.

The seeds put down in March were rather old, and we had around 8 inches of rain the night after planting. I suspect the combination of the excessive rain, and "maybe" the age of the seeds had something to do with them not germinating.

1. To till manure into the garden:
  2. Make a pass with the tiller to get the row established.
  3. Spread manure along the tilled row.
  4. Till the row again.
  5. Spread more manure along the row.
  6. Till the row again.
  7. Make the rows and plant the seeds.
At least that is how I till manure into the garden. Others may have a different process.

Sometime I use a mix of commercial fertilizer to help kick start the plants, then use manure for a slow release fertilizer. Some of the best squash I ever grew was with a mixture of horse manure and 13-13-13.

load-chicken-manure.JPG

tilling-manure-garden.JPG

I probably had another two wheelbarrow loads of chicken manure in the chicken house, but I figured three was enough for now.

Last edited:
I'll bet the deer were watching you from the woodline.;)
We let our chickens roam free during the day, in a fenced enclosure that is 40 feet by 60 feet, so there is no collecting manure. Except for what is around their roosts.
But, we do have a horse (used to have 3) who gives us plenty of organic material to work with. It goes into the wife's raised beds, and now that spring has finally arrived the wheel barrow loads I have been dumping around the perimeter of our soon-to-be orchard will be raked out and then get tilled in.
A big thumbs up to the guy who invented the rear tine tiller!! Ours is a Poulan (a subsidiary of Husqvarna).:love: