Simple pole barn design?

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
I am in need of simple pole barn design. Say something that is 16 feet X 24 feet.

Just something large to keep some antique plows under.

MattB4

You might find some low cost roofing steel being advertised and simply use treated posts. A neighbor of mine build himself several goat houses from cut cedar tree posts and roofing tin for not a lot of money. He used a post hole digger attachment for his tractor to provide holes for the posts and than used rough cut pine that I milled up on my sawmill ( which I sold a couple years ago) to girt and create a simple one slope roof.

Personally I think the carport buildings that you see about is a good altenative since they are inexpensive and go up in a flash. You can have them wall down the back and two sides for not a lot extra.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
You might find some low cost roofing steel being advertised and simply use treated posts. A neighbor of mine build himself several goat houses from cut cedar tree posts and roofing tin for not a lot of money. He used a post hole digger attachment for his tractor to provide holes for the posts and than used rough cut pine that I milled up on my sawmill ( which I sold a couple years ago) to girt and create a simple one slope roof.

Personally I think the carport buildings that you see about is a good altenative since they are inexpensive and go up in a flash. You can have them wall down the back and two sides for not a lot extra.
Thank you Matt.

I am lucky that Jasper Texas has a pole plant where the make poles and sell the culled ones at a discounted price. They are what I made the chicken yard corner post out of.

They sell the poles for $2 a foot. CCA and creosote are the same price. You can even tell them what diameter you want, such as off the small end of the pole or big end. I got a 2 foot long section for my anvil stand.

MattB4

Thank you Matt.

I am lucky that Jasper Texas has a pole plant where the make poles and sell the culled ones at a discounted price. They are what I made the chicken yard corner post out of.

They sell the poles for $2 a foot. CCA and creosote are the same price. You can even tell them what diameter you want, such as off the small end of the pole or big end. I got a 2 foot long section for my anvil stand.
Sounds like a good deal than. I notice on Craig's List in the Material section every now and than roofing steel go on sale at a discount due to take offs or blems in the process. A good metal cutting saw, metal snips and drill driver is a must for the rural farmstead.