Outhouse

#1
We decided to build an outhouse for bathroom duties while living in our RV on our new property. I purchased a thetford porta potti for night time non solid bathroom trips which we can drain safely outside. The Outhouse is a dry type with a bucket. The contents are stored in a trash bag, and we use sawdust to cover the mess. A lid keeps the bugs out and the stench down. So far it has worked very well. Wet wipes and hand sanitizer work well without water. I can't believe how useful wet wipes are. We have a separate trash bin for those with bag and lid.

The house is not fully finished with a tarp roof and no siding yet. I wanted to skip plywood siding and purchased cheap pressure treated wood fence panels that will be used as clapboard panels. I didnt want the wood to rot or to paint it so we went with pressure treated. They were very cheap at Lowes but stink worse than the bucket! So I left them out in the rain (turning them to dry and soak) for a couple of weeks which have helped. So far we have about $350 into it in parts. I think we'll need another $200 to finish. I highly reccomend if you are somewhere without septic and don't mind dealing with the bagged bucket.

If you want to get creative they make urine diverters as well (you have to sit of course), that can be piped out elsewhere safely away from the solids in the bucket.

The dimensions are:

5'x5'x7'tall so far. We plan to put a pitched roof on it. The framing was built with 2x3"s to make it lightweight and to save on materials. The bench was framed with 2x4's and we used a manufactured wood panel for the top. We'll use 1x10's to cap off the front of the bench and add cheap cabinet doors for storage. We found a nice cheap LED light at walmart for evening excursions.

Pictures in the next post..
 
#2
out1.jpg
Main structure with temporary tarp cover. Still need to put up siding, door and roof.

out2.jpg
Here's the bench. The board was engineered and pre-sanded which saved time. The toilet seat sits on a riser that is hinged on the right. A handle on the left lets you lift the riser for access to the business bucket. The hinges were offset with washers.

out3.jpg
This shot shows the bucket suspended on the bench with the riser and a small stool. 1x10 boards will go on the front of the bench with some cheap cabinet doors to allow for storage access.

out4.jpg
Top down view of the riser and toilet seat.


out5.jpg
Toilet seat cover lifted to show the opening and the cover to the business bucket.


out6.jpg
Here is the riser tilted up exposing the business bucket. This is where you would take the lid off and add sawdust or replace the bag.


The toilet seat itself is glued to the riser. I used some small pieces of wood to glue between the riser and toilet seat. The seat normally sits on a toilet with two little offsets near the front, and two in the back that are part of the hinges. I didn't think they would make a strong enough seal point and may break loose over time. The four wooden pieces make for a stronger bond.


So far it's been up and running for a couple of months. It's an easy project for anyone looking to free up some resources. If you can live without septic system for a while, you can save for other tasks while building, or forego the septic alltogether.

For the winter months we plan on using a small propane heater to take the chill off wihle in use. We also plan to leave a 4" or so gap near the top of the wall and will line the gap with metal screen material. This will help move air through. I'll post more pictures as we complete.