Leaves wilting on new fig tree

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
I planted two brown turkey fig trees here on the farm. They are spaced around 20 feet apart. One on one side of the chicken house and one on the other side of the house.

The brown turkey fig tree on the west side of the chicken house, its leaves are wilting. I am watering it every day, and both trees are getting the same amount of water.

Since both trees are getting around the same amount of water, I do not understand why one is wilting, the other is not.

One thing I can think of is the tree on the west side gets a little less sun than the tree on the east side.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
I think I may have a hint, maybe the roots need air?

Between the two fig trees, one had soem of its top roots explosed, the other was fully covered. The one with the exposed roots was doing great. So I uncovered the top of the root ball on the other tree. Almost overnight the fig tree showed improvement.

I will keep this thread updated on how the fig tree does.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Fig trees are looking better. I slacked up on how much water they were getting. Rather than watering everyday, I started watering them every other day.

One of the brown turkey fig trees dropped all of its leaves, and I thought it had died. It has since started budding out and making new leaves.