Got potatoes and onions planted

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Had a wonderful weekend with the family, and got potatoes and onions planted. Mom, dad and my oldest son came to the farm, had lunch, then we went to a field and planted four rows of potatoes and two rows of onions.

The day started off with firing up the pit, letting it warm up for around an hour, then put pork steak on to cook. Let's just say the pork steaks are huge. They must have been eight inches long, and maybe 5 inches across. The nice thing, the steaks were so tinder I was able to cut them with a plastic knife.

The sausage was bought from a guy in Kirbyville, Texas who makes his own sausage. Probably some of the best sausage I have ever had. On the side we had beans, and lemon cake for desert.

After lunch was over, we headed over to a field here on the farm where we plowed four rows for the potatoes, spread 13-13-13. covered the fertilizer with a rake, placed the potatoes around 14 - 16 inches apart, then covered with dirt.

I bought two sets of onions from Circle Three Feed in Jasper, Texas. Little did I know the onions would make two rows around 70 - 75 feet long. Hopefully we will have more onions than we know what to do with. One set were yellow, and one set were red. The onions were planted around 8 - 12 inches apart.

Attachments

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Worried about the potatoes rotting in the ground. It has rained here almost every day since the seed potatoes were planted.

I would hate to replant, but if they rot, I will have no choice.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Dug up a couple of the potatoes this evening, they showed no signs of rot. Hopefully they can make it through all of this rain.

In 2018 I planted a couple of rows of potatoes. We got so much rain the potatoes rotted in the ground, Around three weeks after they were planted none of them had come up, so I dug through the rows.

We had gotten so much rain, the seed potatoes had rotted in the ground. That is the first time I had ever had potatoes rot.

Hopefully 2019 will be different. We planted 27 pounds of seed potatoe cuttings, which made 4 rows around 75 feet long. I would hate to have to replant all of that.

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
Update on the potatoes, a month later and they are doing great. Some of the plants are around 3 inches tall, while others are still breaking through the ground.

Probably going to wait two more weeks, then spread some 13-13-13 along the rows and make up the mounds. Plan is to use a cultivator with a half-shovel on each side to make the mounds. Hopefully that will take place around April 6th. Then towards the end of April make the mounds up a little higher.

Overall I am happy with how everything is going. When the potatoes are harvested I thought about weighing the harvest. We used 27 pounds of seed potatoes to plant the four rows. It would be interesting to see how many pounds of potatoes those 27 pounds of seed potatoes produced.

Attachments