Added 14 new chicks for 2019

Kevin

Administrator
Staff member
After suffering some losses to my chicken flock over the past year, I decided to add 14 more. Part of the losses was due to a couple of new puppies my wife and I adopted. One of the puppies was a lab. It would run over to the chicken house, grab a chicken, and bring it back to the house. It was so proud that he had brought us something.

I think the lab was devastated when I scolded it for killing the chickens, as it was just doing what comes naturally.

The new chicks:

Seven Barred Rocks
Seven Rhode Island Reds

My current flock sits at around 13 laying hens, and some of the hens are up in their age. I am sure the new chicks will help bring egg production up. If all of the chicks live, that should give us 27 hens, and 2 roosters.

At one time we had close to 40 hens, but between predators, and the dogs, that number has dropped to 13.

It seems like over the course of a year I lose just about all of the chickens I bought earlier in the year. Hopefully the dogs now understand they can not kill the chickens.

Also, the dogs have a wireless fence that keeps them close to the house.

Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds are some good chicken breeds.

Granny had some Rhode Island Red chickens, which means my dad was raised eating eggs from Rhode Island Red chickens.

Those Barred Rocks are an excellent dual purpose breed. Even though there are better egg layers, the Barred Rock is very hardy. Rarely, if ever, do I find a dead Barred Rock or Rhode Island Red. The Buff Orpington, and the Silver Laced Wyandotte on the other hand, I have found them dead with no apparent reason.

The new chicks will be kept in an enclosed 6 X 8 chicken house until they are big enough to go out with the main flock. This is usually when they are around 2 - 3 months old, and when the weather warms up nicely. One of the biggest threats to the chicks are chicken snakes. In 2018 I had a snake get into their enclosed house, which was a first.